Date & Time: 12th - 14th August weekend 2006, at Pin Mill in Suffolk.

Location : Staying at Cathy and Richards after visiting Angie for lunch on the way down

Detail : My brother delivered the family boat so that it can be used by the next generation.

With : Ann and the dogs, Cathy and Richard, Stephen and Elaine, and the four Cantelo grandsons.

Weather : Promised severe weather but instead enjoyed nice weather with a good breeze for sailing.


Stephen pushes the boat off on its maiden Suffolk voyage

on Alton Water reservoir near Pin Mill.


On the way south to Pin Mill we were invited to call in at Angie and David's, which was conveniently close to both the A1 and lunchtime !

When we got there Jill B, Nigel and Matthew had the same idea on the same day . . a first southern OFC meeting it seems.

( photo taken by David, . . .very similar to mine, but there are four dogs in it and everyone's looking the right way . . . full marks David))

Late afternoon arrival at Pin Mill seafront.

Stephen had brought the family sailing dinghy down to Pin Mill. He had been custodian and carer of the old boat for many years but now his family had left home and he has changed boat class, so now the 420 was available for the next generation to use. Pin Mill seemed like an excellent place to keep it.

Stephen and Richard had sailed the boat on the River Orwell on Saturday, but on Sunday we took the boat over to Alton Water Reservoir nearby.

Quick explanation of all the gear . . .
. . . and they're off.

Jenna, Jack and Matthew look on as we take turns on the boat.

Quick crew changes gave everyone a chance to take advantage of the good sailing weather.

Matthew - controlling the jib sail
Richard looking serious on the helm.
Jack keeping the boat level.
Sam enjoying the sailing.


The facilities at the sailing club allowed people to relax while others sailed.

The boat was new in the 60's but is sailing as well as ever, nearly forty years on.

Stephen and Richard decided to do a practice capsize so it was time to put the kids ashore.

They had a reasonable breeze

but they both had to

lean on the wrong side

to get it to tip over.


They then practiced

reversing the process

starting from the bottom up !


Back at the house after a successful afternoon we wad chance for a local walk before supper.

Just up the coast, an old boat has a new lease of life ashore.

Back to the village and the tide is full in.

Time for a pre-dinner drink at the Butt and Oyster.
Myself and Alexander next day.

Unfortunately, after the good weather on Sunday, the next day was rather poor to say the least, so we took a local walk along the Orwell in order to exercise the dogs and ourselves before our journey home.

A Thames Barge having to motor up the river due to the headwind and adverse tide this morning.

- - - o o o - - -

Technical note: Pictures taken with a Canon IXUS 400 Digital camera.

Resized in Photoshop, and built up on a Dreamweaver web builder.

This site best viewed with . . . sunshine and a steady ten knott breeze.

Go to Top  # © RmH  #  Email me here  # Go to 2006 Archive

Previous walk - 22nd August 2006 Stoney Cove Pike and the Last of the Hartsops

Previous time here - 4th to 6th April 2006 A family visit to Pin Mill in Suffolk